Schoolwide Behaviour Expectations
Mercury Bay Area School has participated in School Wide Positive Behaviour for Learning since 2010.
School Wide Positive Behaviour for Learning is a Ministry initiative, and we are part of a cluster of schools from around the Coromandel and Waikato area.
Our school wide expectations of KAURI were developed with staff and students. KAURI is an acronym for:
K – Kindness / Ngākau atawhai
A – Achievement / Whakatutukitanga
U – Unity / Kotahitanga
R – Respect / Whakute
I – Identity / Tuakiri
We expect all students, staff and visitors to our school to embrace and follow our school wide expectations. Sitting behind the KAURI expectations is our school wide matrix which breaks down the expectations into expected behaviours in the different areas of Mercury Bay Area School.
These are in turn backed up with lesson plans.
Lesson Plans are developed regularly from our school wide Kauri Matrix and by analysing behaviour data to look for trends in behaviours, places or times.
Positive Behaviour for Learning
The principles behind Positive Behaviour for Learning:
- Positive behaviour can be learnt and difficult and disruptive behaviour can be unlearnt
- Individual children are not a ‘problem’ – we need to change the environment around them to support positive behaviour
- Punishing and isolating children doesn’t bring about long-term and sustainable changes in behaviour
- We need to concentrate on a small number of evidence-based programmes and frameworks that we know work
- There are no quick fixes – behaviour change takes time.
Please find information from our counselling team below. This information is shared through out the year at parent forums. Watch the newsletter for upcoming dates.