To whom it may concern,
Although caregivers are responsible for getting students to and from school each day, Murphy Buses is contracted by the Ministry of Education to provide bus transport to enable students to attend school. Murphy Buses is required to transport eligible students to their nearest appropriate school. On occasions and depending on loading, this may require eligible students to stand on their way to and from school. However, as part of Murphy Buses contract, we can only transport ineligible students if the following conditions are met:
- There is excess seating capacity after all eligible students have been taken into account
- The ineligible students pay an appropriate fee
- Transportation of ineligible students does not delay the service
- Transportation of ineligible students does not result in bus deviating from designated route
- Permission is obtained by any school affected by the operation of the school run
In addition, the ineligible students must:
- Behave in a socially acceptable way
- NOT harass or bully students
A student is eligible if:
- They live too far away from the nearest appropriate school they can enrol (more than 3.2kms for years 1-8 and more than 4.8km for years 9 and above)
- There is no suitable public transport available.
In recent times we have had concerns that the inclusion of ineligible students on the bus may cause us to breach the above conditions (typically the seating capacity) and as a result we have made a decision that Murphy Buses will no longer accept “new” ineligible students on our services for 2017 onwards. Murphy Buses will continue to offer existing ineligible fare paying students (ie those who travelled in 2016) the opportunity to travel so they can finish their schooling at their existing school (providing the above terms are met).
We appreciate that this may cause a concern for some parents and schools affected by this decision and we apologise for this.
Note the above change does not affect eligible students (including those who transfer their eligibility under the MoE rules), it is only those students that live too close to their nearest appropriate school that want to catch a ride to another school.
P: 07 868 6265 F:07 868 6745
P O Box 251, Thames